Founded through the joint efforts and vision of the Ghanaian Baptist Convention and the International Mission Board (Foreign Mission Board at that time) in 1958, its initial use was solely dedicated to outpatient treatment. By the mid 60’s it included inpatient facilities, a surgical unit, and a residential tuberculosis program. In the 1980’s the hospital established a public health program. The Public Health unit provides vital services to the region, such as vaccination, and it has created opportunities for engaging unreached villages.
In the late 90s, BMC was at the center of an epidemic. A severe outbreak of cerebrospinal meningitis brought hundreds of extra patients to the hospital. Through the hard work of our staff, government support, Medicine Sans Frontiers, and above all the provision of our Lord, Jesus Christ, BMC emerged stronger than ever. The staff’s efforts during the crisis prompted national recognition, when Ghanaian President Flt. Lt. Jerry Rawlings awarded the hospital Ghana’s Medal of honor, for its service to the Northern Region.
Since its foundation 40+ churches have been planted as a result of ministries associated with BMC, and many more people know Christ because of the faithful service of the hospital staff.